Located in the Conca Peligna , at the foot of Mount Morrone , Pratola Peligna has the privilege and honor to venerate the Madonna della Libera . The precious image , the destination of pilgrimages from all over Abruzzo , also beloved by many Pratolani living abroad , it is a sign of mercy and hope for all her children. Legend has it that a certain man named Fortunato , during the terrible plague of 1500 , he found the image of the Madonna in a church outside the village, abandoned and dilapidated . Enthused by the discovery , he knelt down and cried out his faith and his confidence : ” Madonna , deliver us .” The call was picked up and repeated by Pratolani . Faith is revived . The country was free and safe. The image , loaded on a cart pulled by oxen , to the cheers of ” Evviva la Madonna della Libera” , was brought in Pratola . From that moment , the ” Madonna della Libera ” cry continued to resonate on the lips of Pratolani and continues to echo in the invocations of the many pilgrims who invoke with confidence . The Feast of the Madonna della Libera, preceded by a solemn novena , is held annually in the first and second Sunday of May with the traditional welcome of the pilgrims of Gioia dei Marsi , the characteristic display of the statue and popular procession through the streets of the country involving the authorities , the various committees , and many faithful from all parts of Abruzzo .